[MOVIES] Movies of the week 03.

Another week, another set of movies. This week there's a mix of horror and some steampunk related movies from different decades.

Diary of the dead (2007)

Fifth movie of George A. Romero zombie saga. A group of cinema students are working on a horror movie while the zombie apocalypse starts. They decide to film every minute of their life to inform the world about what's really happening.



I guess George A. Romero fell for the whole found footage, fake documentary craze that was going on around those years. I'm tired of that kind of movies, not a big fan, I specially hate the whole Paranormal Activity saga, I'm talking about the way it's recorded or how they try to fit the plot to make the actors use the camera, not about the main plots, but I'm not talking about those movies now.
It's not a bad movie, not my favourite of the saga and not as funny as the other ones, probably there's only one scene that I would call funny. Nothing special about this one.




Survival of the dead (2009)

Sixth and last movie of the George A- Romero zombie saga. It follows the Diary of the dead, with one of the characters, a militar, that appears on that movie. A group of military find a boy on their way and he convinces them to travel to an island where there's a man that promises them a place to live in peace.


Another movie that I had seen already, probably when it came out, but I had no idea it was one of the Living Dead movies. I think this is one of the funniest movies of the saga, the ending is just hilarious, although it doesn't make a lot of sense that they leave the island, but whatever.
I like this one, the fact that it's on an island makes it peculiar, it's entertaining, some characters are there for no reason but Devon Bostick is cute, so it's not a big deal.





The city of lost children (1995)

A scientist is getting old faster than he's supposed to be and he tries to recover his childhood kidnapping kids and using his machine to suck off their youth. When he kidnaps the brother of the strongman on the fair he, helped by a girl, starts an adventure to find him.



Cute movie, a bit dark but very creative. I wouldn't call it completely steampunk but it would still be inside the whole genre.



Carnival of souls (1962)

Two cars have an accident while they're doing a race on a bridge. One of the girls that survives the accident got a new job at another town as a church organist but she starts to see strange people following her around.



[SPOILER ALERT] Let's be honest, I knew from the beginning of the movie that she was dead, probably because I've seen too many movies, and that's why I didn't enjoy the movie as much as I would if I didn't know that. Still, a good movie.




20,000 leagues under the sea  (1954)

Movie adaptation of Jules Verne novel. A doctor that's investigating a monster at the ocean falls out of the ship he's travelling into with two other passengers, his assistant and another sailor. They are found by Nemo and his crew that travel inside the marvelous Nautilus a wonder of science and technology.


Goo plot, one of the good old movies, I hated Kirk Douglas' character, a lot, and I hated the end, but we all know how it ends, right? I also didn't like when Nemo talked about God, I don't see the connection between science and God but I can understand it knowing the period of time the original book was done.




Time after time (1979)

H. G. Wells creates a time machine and shows it to his friends but they find out that one of them is Jack the ripper. He steals the time machine and H. G. Wells has to travel to the future to stop him.


I think I watched this movie when I was younger, I don't remember it clearly so it was probably when I was a kid. I think it's a good movie, a variation of the original Time machine movie. I like it because it has the interesting figure of Jack the ripper mixed with time travel and Malcolm McDowell, I kinda like his weird face.




Hugo (2011)


A kid lives at the train station where he tries to find pieces for an automaton, trying to finish fixing it as he started with his father. With the help of a girl he starts an adventure that makes him discover a hidden and magical side of the owner of the toy store.



This is a very cute movie, it's well done, the effects are nice, it has a cool steampunk vibe and it has awesome actors working on it. The whole cinema history that's portrayed at the movie is very nice, I really like it, I think it's a good way to make kids get interested in old cinema. Good plot, in general, good everything.




The adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988)


A european country is in war against the Turks, while a play about the Baron Munchausen is happening, the real Baron appears and promises the town to help them win the war because he is the real cause of the beginning of that war. He, with the company of a little girl, starts an adventure to find his old team to defeat the Turks.



Nothing about this movie makes sense, it's fucking hilarious and at the same time it has a critic side.
It has a great cast, I love the whole creativity and imagination that's embodied in this movie, it reminds me a lot of the nonsense of Monty Python movie, but then again, it's a Terry Gillian movie, so, technically almost a Monty Python movie.





The Prestige (2006)

Two magicians compete to be the best in their profession, they try to outdo each other and they don't hesitate to use any means to achieve that.



I had watched the last part of the movie a few years ago, that means that from the beginning I knew what was happening, bummer! But It's still a cool movie, love the whole Teslapunk part and of course, David Bowie. I have to say that for some reason I was with Huge Jackman and I hated the end of the movie, also, it didn't make any sense that he had to do what he was doing when it had an easier solution, but it was shocking and it felt that it had a hidden meaning.




Backtrack  (2015)

A psychologist is trying to recover from the dead of his daughter when he starts to realize his patients are all ghosts that died in a train accident where he was involved. He has to come back home to try to remember his past.



The first part of the movie was quite boring, but when it's almost finishing then it starts to be good.




Dead calm (1989)

Third movie of the George A. Romero zombie saga. In this one a group of scientists, protected by the military, are trying some experiments on the infected, one of them is trying to find a cure but the other one, a crazy scientist, is trying to domesticate them, but something goes wrong.


I'm pretty sure I watched this movie when I was a kid, again, I kind of remember it but not very clear. Sam Neill spends the whole movie trying not to drown and Nikole Kidman doesn't take advantage of a lot of opportunities she has to take back the control of the ship. A good movie, tipical of the late 80s, the age gap between the two main characters is a bit too much for my taste. Also, what the hell happened to Nikole Kidman's face? What's wrong with all these movie stars? Why do they need all that plastic surgery if they can age beautifully instead of looking like a plastic doll? And not a good one. Sam Neill is older than her and he looks better!




H.G. Wells' The time machine (1960)

H. G. Wells creates a time machine and decides to travel to the future to find out where our society led us, imagining that everything will be full of wonders. But what he finds is very different, two main races, the Morlocks and the Eloi inhabit the earth, ones as hunters, the others as preys.


A beautiful movie, I really like the photography of these old movies. The time machine is great, of course the special effects are not great and the Morlocks suck but they are actually pretty cool because of that.





If I have enough time next week I'll do a post just about the Living Dead movies but right now, I'm going to say that if I had to chose just one movie it would be The adventures of Baron Munchausen. I love all Monty Python movies, my favourite one is probably Monty Python and the Holy Grial although I also like Life of Brian, it's fucking funny and nonsensical and full of satire. I can't understand how it didn't have any success when it came out.
Also, Hugo is a pretty movie, it's on the second plate, very close to the first one.

0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

 

Visitas

Twitter Updates

Song of the month